Monday, July 6, 2009

God Bless America (and the 4th of July)


Not too many people know that my favorite holiday is the 4th of July. No joke. I have guilt about Christmas (the whole Jewish heritage thing), our turkey is always a disappointment at Thanksgiving (and I don’t know why because my mom is an awesome cook) and my birthday has yet to be recognized as a national or municipal holiday yet (I feel this will involve an assassination and I am not interested in going out like that). Luckily, in the beginning of the summer we can celebrate our nation’s birthday. The Fourth of July is the perfect holiday for these reasons:

1) It is warm and you can usually get a tan. I really messed mine up at the beach so I needed two pool days to correct the damage (I can’t sure won’t cure cancer but I’m awesome at tanning).
2) All fruits and vegetables (especially tomatoes) are in season-perfect for platters and platters of yummy goodness.
3) You can get really drunk and gorge yourself and no one will judge you because they’re all doing the same thing. This year, I ate so much that I couldn’t get drunk. The food kept soaking up the alcohol. Ready to hit the gym hard this week.
4) FIREWORKS (Mego says she wants to get married on the 4th so she can have a fire works display for her wedding-all potential suitors please note this)
5) Finding the perfect red, white and blue outfit (I don’t like Halloween and won’t dress for the occasion but I spend hours thinking about and shopping for the perfect outfit). This year I even had a red and blue bikini b/c I spent most of the day on the lake or in the pool.
6) You don’t have to be at work and if it falls on the weekend, you usually get a bonus day off. That is, unless you are Ashley and you have to cover Fourth of July celebrations for a local TV station (shameless plug for my BFE who is a local TV reporter for the #1 station)
7) A renewed sense of patriotism in all citizens (even if it is for a day). The one day we can all unite under one flag and the same colors to celebrate something together. No mention of anything troubling just love for the good old U-S-of-A. A few years ago I asked my friends to tell me their favorite thing about being an American and they all said ‘freedom’. I agree 100%. My second favorite is Macy*s 1-Day sales.
8) Did I mention that I ate like a cow?


Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July and is re-entering reality safely.

1 comment:

  1. PLEASE tell me you have a photo of the red, white and blue outfit.

    ReplyDelete