Monday, January 19, 2009

Role Models


Since I was a child people have always asked me who my role model was. I always found this a difficult question to answer. There are so many woman that I admire including: my mom, Sarah Palin (don't judge-the announcement of her VP candidacy was a big day for Republican women), Wendy Babchin, Lynn Setliff and Ann Hathaway. I'll leave men out of this discussion because who wants to be a dude? Some of these woman I have met and others I have not but I feel that they have inspired me in some way and I wish to emulate them. Of course, I still need to maintain my own identity so I am inspired by this woman but don't desire to 100% mimic them.
To every yin, there is a yang. For so many woman that I admire there are double that I don't. I like to refer to these as the "anti-role model." They remind me how to not live my life. We all know these women and understand the "role" they play in our lives. I feel these characters are a greater inspiration to me than any one else. In my first 5 years, I have met my fair share of very unhappy people who enjoy nothing more than inflicting their misery on others. These woman have succeeded in bringing me down to their level on a number of occasions but they can't keep me there. I just won't let them.
It is shocking to me how hard women have fought to be equal in the world and yet we continue to be our own worst enemies. I keep these women as a fond reminder of who I don't want to become. It is hard sometimes to not be influenced by them; however, I remind myself of how awesome I am and miserable they are. My boss told me never to make winners out of losers so I won't start with them

1 comment:

  1. High five, lady! I agree. I think I have a lot of those "wow, I don't ever want to be like you" role models in my office, but I digress. Second, correct...who wants to be a dude? Last, I don't judge you in the slightest if Sarah Palin is a role model for you. I'm happy you saw something you could identify with in her and that she made you proud. It's the same thing for me with my political role models. Our politics may be different, but the feeling is the same. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete